According to the The Guardian, one out of eleven households in suburban Manchester during 2009 was the victim of Locksmith Manchester theft. The Metropolitan Police also reported almost six thousand incidents of theft from vehicles during August 2011. With these types of statistics, it is important for anyone living in Manchester to take theft prevention seriously. Here are some tips on how to protect your home and vehicle with the help of Manchester locksmiths.
Vehicle Theft Prevention
If you were to contact one of the many Manchester locksmiths for information on vehicle theft prevention, you would most likely be given tips to help you avoid these situations. Some of the most helpful tips may be:
- Never leave your keys in your car.
- Lock your car each time you leave it.
- Don’t hide an extra set of keys in your car. Thieves can easily find these and enter your car. While many use these extra keys in case they lose their car keys, it is much safer to avoid hiding the extra keys and just call a locksmith in case of an emergency.
- Park in attended lots.
- Park your vehicle in a well lit area, especially if you are parking on a street or in a lot.
- Don’t leave your car running, even for a minute, while it is unattended.
- If you have a garage or a driveway, make sure to use them. If the car is real wheel drive, back it into the driveway to make it harder to tow.
- When you park your car in your garage, lock both the vehicle and the garage. This will greatly reduce the chances that your car will be stolen.
- Do not leave personal items sitting out in your car. These items could lure a potential thief and actually cause the theft of your vehicle. If potentially valuable items are left out in plain view, make sure they are engraved with your personal ID number.
When it comes to your home, protection is the key to making sure your family feels safe. Many times, theft can easily be prevented. Here are some tips on avoiding burglary and protecting your family.
- Contact one of the many Manchester locksmiths for help installing secure locks on your doors and windows. With the right locks, breaking into your home will become almost impossible.
- Make sure the exterior of your home is well-lit. Motion-sensitive lights are best, because they automatically turn on whenever anyone comes close to them.
- Make sure to install any type of lighting up high, out of reach. This way, burglars can not simply unscrew your light bulbs.
- On days where you have the curtains pulled back and the windows open, make sure your valuable stay out of sight. Many thieves ‘case’ the home, looking for entry points and valuable items for days or weeks before actually breaking in.
- Organize a neighbourhood watch and take an active role. Alert your neighbours if you are leaving for an extended period of time.